Museo Amedeo Lia, in La Spezia
The Museo Amedeo Lia, or the Amedeo Lia Museum is a fine arts museum located in La Spezia. It came about in 1995 and was inaugurated in December of 1996. The name derives from the engineer, Amedeo Lia. This Museum has a total of thirteen rooms with paintings that range from the 13th to the 18th century, and sculptures varying from ancient, to medieval to modern. The Museo Amedeo Lia is located in the old convent of the Friars Minor of St Francis of Paola who lived in the city of La Spezia around the 1620s. The museum was placed right outside the walled city where the road met up with the Gulf with Genoa. Although, since 1914 the building was abandoned. After the war, it was used as the District Court, and offices. Later down the road, Amedeo Lia made donations, helping the building out with the addition of La Spezia’s own art pieces and the building would now be selected for the site of a museum. Restorations began in 1990, and was inaugurated in 1996 to show off some of La Spezia’s finest art.